Guest Designer Program: Call for Submissions
We are so thrilled to open The Spinning Hand's first Submission Call for Guest Designers to be featured in our growing Luxury Subscription Box.
🧶 Is there a theme?
We have a theme for each quarter, when we open the Knitting Subscription Club for new members:
August, September, and October - La Dolce Vita!
(Check out our Pinterest Mood Board)
Our Luxury Knitting Subscription Box is geared toward adventurous beginner and intermediate knitters. An ideal project would challenge a beginning knitter (and provide tutorial video support for the tricky bits), and engage a seasoned knitter with interesting features.
🧶 What types of projects do we love?
🧶 What are the yarn requirements?
Each of our subscription boxes includes approximately 100 g of luxury yarn in all different weights, ranging from fingering to bulky. We think of our boxes as an opportunity to treat subscribers to a yarn tasting each month. In past boxes we’ve featured yarns from popular brands including Ella Rae, Katia, Juniper Moon Farm, Lousia Harding, Araucania, HiKoo, Universal Yarn, and Alexandra: The Art of Yarn.
🧶 What is the timeline?
- Submissions for the La Dolce Vita! subscription boxes are due on Wednesday, March 29th.
- The written pattern is due to begin Tech Editing by Friday, June 9th.
- The finished sample is due to ship to us in New Jersey by Friday, June 30th.
🧶 What is the exclusivity time period? When will rights be returned to the designer?
The pattern will be exclusive to The Spinning Hand from publication date for a 6-month time period. Pattern rights will transfer to the Designer in January 2024.
🧶 What does the designer get?First, let’s talk about financial compensation. If your submission is accepted, The Spinning Hand pays $300 - 400 for the completed pattern & knitted sample delivered to us by the agreed upon deadline. Payments are made approximately 1 month after the box featuring your design is shipped. This date will be outlined in our agreement.
But, that’s not all ...
The Spinning Hand will provide:
Yarn Support! If your design is selected, we’ll send you yarn to knit the sample of your pattern. We’ll also include a prepaid shipping label so you can send the sample to us. We will return the sample to you along with the pattern rights, after the exclusivity period.
Professional Tech Editing! We’ll review any suggested edits to your pattern before making them, to ensure you are on board with them.
Photography! This includes permission for you to use the photos when the pattern rights are returned to you after the exclusivity period.
Promotion and Publicity! We are so excited to introduce you to our audience, and would love to have you join us for a short live interview. This will be shared on Facebook and YouTube. In addition, we’ll share your design & your story with our email list across all of our social media platforms. We’d be honored if you’d do the same.
🧶 What are our brand values?At The Spinning Hand ...
- We strive to support small women and minority owned businesses whenever possible. We love supporting businesses whose products are made in America, and also love including handmade items in our subscription boxes.
- Your delight is our top priority! We are here to support you and ensure you love your purchases. Have a question? Help is just a quick email away!
- Your knitting time is precious, and should be joyful. You deserve clear and easy-to-follow pattern instructions. Our designs are professionally tech edited and tested by other knitters before we share them with the world.
- You deserve to work with “the good yarn.” You deserve to be treated to the best materials, and we test everything that’s included in our shop and in our boxes.
🧶 Have a question not answered here?
Watch the replay of our Q&A Call to learn more information about our Guest Designer Program:
You are also welcome to reach out to us via email with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
🧶 Ready to submit your design proposal?
The theme for this series of subscription boxes is La Dolce Vita! View our Mood Board on Pinterest.
Some guidelines for your submission:
• Submissions are due before Wednesday, March 29, 2023 by 11:59 PM ET.
• The submission must be your original design, and must not have been published or shared publicly before
(this includes Ravelry and Social Media).
• Your project should use up to 100 grams of yarn. You may use yarn weights ranging from fingering through bulky.
Submissions should include:
✔ your design inspiration,
✔ yarn details including yarn weight & approximate yardage,
✔ a photo of your swatch(es),
✔ a sketch of your design.
Not ready to submit a design yet, but want to stay in the loop? Enter your info below to be added to our Guest Designers email list!
We respect your privacy and will never share your information with a third party.